Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Application Fever

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my husband has been looking for work in a new field. 

And in an attempt to save some money, we do not have internet access at home. I only have access while at work. 

And of course, as it stands, almost all job applications are posted where? Yes, online. And guess how you apply for these jobs? Yes, again, online.

In the beginning of his job hunting, I would scout out good openings for him and on his lunch he would come and pick and choose from my list and then apply for all that he felt were worth a shot.

But then over the weeks and months that past, this got really old. And he started to slack off. Or I wanted to go to a lunch buffet instead of being at work. And all these other excuses.

So what begin happening, was that I was now not only finding myself scouting for possible jobs, but now I was applying to them as well. 

And you know how boring that is? Especially when it is not even for you?

I don't know what is it nowadays, but you can't just upload a pre-made resume into an application engine and send it off. 

No. You have to create an account. This includes a username, but the first username you typed in was already taken, so you had to come up with another one. Then you must create a password that has 10 letters, 3 have to be uppercase, 2 have to be the same, and you also need to add 4 numbers, but do not place them together. 

Now that you are into the system, you have to create a profile. Include your name, age, address, and boiler plate questionnaire and security questions regarding if you are a sex offender or not. 

And then you have to type in your resume into their own unique system, so you have to retype your entire work history, all your references, all your educational backgrounds, and be sure to include the street and city addresses for all as well.

It is just ridiculous. 

By the time you have all of that complete, two hours have gone by, easy.

And now you have that done, you have two more applications to complete by the end of the day (deadlines), and both are on different job sites, so the process has to begin all over again for both.

And you know, I have been applying for so many jobs for him, that it has come to the point now where I have created usernames and passwords with different organizations, and then find another opening at the same organization that I have already created a profile for months ago, and yup you guessed it, I forgot that I did. So now I have to either call their IT department and ask for a new username and password, or wait for an email explaining the ten steps it takes to reclaim the account.

Oh, if only I was more organized. I could have all this information in one place.

Or better yet, if I had known that I still would be applying for jobs seven months after I started, maybe I would have thought about saving that information in the first place.

But at the very least, my typing skills have improved. And, I know my husband's personal information like the back of my hand. And probably even better than I know my own.

So, here's to the one day where I can stop job hunting for him and instead just focus on washing his new work uniforms.