Monday, April 25, 2011

Oh, The Ways

If you are a faithful reader of my blog then you are aware that I am a woman of lists. I love lists. I use them for work, for fun, for family. I work best by working through step-by-step processes. I guess that it why I am a type A personality.

It has been a few hours now since I posted my last mindless blog concerning my situation with my husband.

And after much praying, and reflection, and reading my blog over again, I came across a new list.

Ever read those silly lists offered by MSN relationships? They are kind of silly. Like "Ten ways to make him hot." Why do you need a list for that? Just move him the desert like I did.

But, in my hopeless mindset, I thought I would read through this new list out just a few weeks ago called, "10 Ways To Better Show Your Love."

Ok, I'm hooked. What are they?

Maybe if I am lucky I will find on that list blogging about your frustrations...

1. Make a Decision
2. Make food
3. Give a gift
4. Give compliments
5. Give your appreciation
6. Make a gesture of your very own
7. Be dominate
8. Be passive
9. Tell him what you are
10. Just show up

What a list huh? Boy can I pick 'em.

First, there is nothing about blogging? And second, this isn't your "usual" love list. I mean the top 5 are there - gifts, presence, attention, service, affection. But #7 and #8, what??

But, ok, I will still play along.

God knows that I can use all the help I can get regarding love these days.

#1 - make a decision. Alright. I make the decision to do this stupid love list today for my husband.

Not good enough you say?

Figured you say that. However, the description says that #1 refers to making the choice to commit to these 10 principles for your beloved. Ha, ha!

# 2 - make food. Ok. I made LOTS of food yesterday for him but he chose to not eat it. But we are talking about today, the present, not yesterday, the past. Plus if you really break it down, I really didn't make the food for him - I made it for Jesus and the celebration of Easter. Darn it. Alright. Make food. Done. I will go pick up some of his favorite chicken wings before going home, it isn't really making it, but I will watch someone make it.

# 3 - Give a gift. The wings! That doesn't work? Ok. I have this stupid snuggie thing that he will just love because it has his favorite college football team as the print of the fabric. Was going to give it to him for his birthday coming soon, but I bought too many presents anyway (as I always do), and I know he will like this any day, not just as a "birthday" gift. Check.

# 4 - Give compliments. Agh. These are getting harder. Ok. A compliment? Well, he is still breathing right? Ya, no, especially if I want to keep out of prison. I just was kidding by the way, I would never, ugh, stop his breathing. Um. I'm stumped. Compliment....well rested! Ok. When I first see him I will tell him that he looks well rested. Not the best, but hey, it's a start.

# 5 - Give your appreciation. Ew. No thanks! I mean, did you even read my last blog?? But, thinking about it. I left the house this morning before everyone else woke up and didn't feed the dogs. My husband texted me earlier and said that he would feed them for me. Ok, #4, check. I will verbally express my appreciation for feeding the dogs.

# 6 - Make a gesture of your very own. I don't really get this one. As described in the article, this is to make something, like a heart shaped wood cutting board (who wrote this?). I would say that a gesture of my very own would be to actually execute this stupid list to him. But, just in case the jury doesn't see it that way, a gesture of my very own, huh? I will make him a "just because" greeting card. That works. And I even have some card stock to use. Winning!! (Talk about a dude with relationship problems! Poor Charley)

# 7 - Be dominant. I LOVE this one! This might have even been the reason why I decided to do this in the first place. I joke. Be dominant. Description says to don't be a push-over. Makes sense. If I don't play this right, my husband might think that he got off easy yesterday because I am doing all of these nice things. Maybe he should start reading my blogs... Back to this point though. Ok. When I leave from seeing him this afternoon I will make a point to let him know that I wish to talk to him later tonight. We can discuss more in detail about my feelings from last night. That's dominant, right? The dreaded, "We need to talk" line?

# 8 - Be passive. I mean really, who wrote this?? First you tell me not to be a push-over and now you say to be passive. A man wrote this, I just know it. The good ol' "be an aggressive sexy underwear model and a vegetarian librarian" at the same time. Please. But, ok. Again I give into this experiment. When I see him this afternoon I will not get into it with him regarding yesterday. I will be passive. Give my bundle of love offerings and be gone.

# 9 - Tell him what you are.He should know right? But for the sake of this list. Fine. I'll will write this list (another list! I am in!) that will include my short comings, my failures, everything bad that I am, and keeping with the directions, I won't apologize for anything, just acknowledge that I know I am this way.

FINALLY!

# 10 - Just show up. Easiest one! I will "just show up" to our house, were he currently is, deliver all of these better love offerings and be on my way. I have half an hour before this can be executed. T-minus 30 minutes.

Alright, let's recap, (again, A type personality):

Just show up (#10 and #1) in half an hour by first complimenting (#4) that he looks well rested and thank him for feeding the dogs this morning (#5). Put down his wings (#2) on the table. Offer my gesture of love (#6) greeting card that I personally made and tell him that he can read the other separate sheet (#9) later today. Pull out his snuggie from my purse and offer it to him (#3). Let him tell me more details from last night since I didn't let him tell me then and not say anything back but encouraging points (#8). Give him a goodbye kiss and tell him on the way out that when I get home from work we need to sit down again because I have things I wish to discuss further (#7).

Ha! I did it! All 10. In your face devil cupid!

If anything, no one can ever say that I never tried to keep my marriage together. Let's all pray that this works. Or if anything, helps me to be happier.