Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hoarders of a Third Kind

There is a new show on Animal Planet called Animal Hoarders which looks at people who “hoard” animals in their homes. The episodes I have seen have more than thirty-five animals in a single household. Most have cats and dogs, but some even have chickens, other farm animals, and small rodents or reptiles.
I in no way think that our five pets equal hoarding, but I can easily see how someone can fall into that trap. Especially if the pets aren’t spayed or neutered in those households and then there is just an endless cycle of multiplication.
In every hoarding episode the pet owners say that they don’t see themselves as hoards (I refer you back to the last paragraph, AAHH!). They continue to say that they see it as their duty to help these animals and no one can care or love for these animals more than the owners. The phrase, “They need me,” usually is heard.
They need me?
I have a friend who is looking to possibly put his child into preschool in the coming months. She believes that his child would love and even excel in preschool, and I agree with her. But the mom feels that he isn’t ready for her child to go to preschool even though he felt that the child was ready.
I’m not ready?
Another person I know is searching for a career at the present time. This person thinks that s/he is being called into ministry and even has had people comment on what a great pastor this person would make. However, according to this person, due to a condition that limits recognition of people’s faces and names, this calling will not become a reality.
I can’t do it?
The great Apostle Paul wrote from his jail cell in Rome that we should “Never give up. Eagerly follow the Holy Spirit and serve the Lord.” (Romans 12:11)
Easier said than done Paul.
But looking at these three very different circumstances, looking from the outside in, I see hope not obstacles.
Of course those pet hoarders can be freed from their addition. Of course my friend can find the strength to let the child grow. Of course a calling from God should be actively seeked out.
In the movie The Blind Side the children all attended a private Christian school. I am reminded here of what the entrance to that school said. It read:
With our help, this is possible. With God’s help, all things are possible.  
How true that is!
If there are obstacles that you have in life, seek out the help of our Heavenly Father before making your decision.
With him, even above the sky is your limit.

*I try my best to keep the people in my life confidential. Thank you for bearing with me as I try to mask their identities by intertwining both genders in explanations.