You ever have those moments when everything you touch breaks?
Last night was the kick-off of my Wednesday night Christian study and I thought I was totally prepared for this session.
I mean, I did everything by the book.
I had the room set-up prior to the participants arrival, I had the nursery workers in the play room awaiting the kids, I had time for silent prayer before people showed up, my check list was complete. And if the Monday night session was a clue on how this night was going to go, I was golden.
Then just moments before the session was to start, everything started becoming unraveled.
When my husband and I got into the car to go home, I exploded. How could this first impression session be ran this way? Why did this happen this way? This is not how this first session was to be ran!
I wanted to cry. I wanted to yell. I wanted to hurt someone!!
(Not my best moment, yes, I so confess.)
And to be honest with you, I was ready to let that evil recolor my heart.
But you know. After taking a few breathers with my husband and my parents, I had a God moment.
God was still in control. As He always is.
And the session didn't turn out the way I planned - but, hey, what rarely does?
God knew that this first session was going to be this way. And I believe that nothing is done in vain in His name. This situation will prove plentiful fruit, some how, some way. And that's what I can look forward to.
This morning as I look back at last night in all of my disappointment, I am grateful. I know God has a miracle up His sleeve concerning this.
And in the meantime, I will be offering up the Serenity Prayer -
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen. --Reinhold Niebuhr