One word that holds a lot of responsibility and a lot of possibility for failure.
Being a leader is more than just holding a position at the church.
Leadership is a lifestyle. And that's why it's so tough!
Every action that we make as leaders is watched. Our relationships with people. The way we handle conflict. The way we worship. Everything.
And one slip up can change the way someone views us from that point on.
Some things that I have been dealing with lately are that of pride. My pride. Others pride. Your pride.
Pride gets in the way sometimes, doesn't it?
I remember reading a confession last year from a faceless church member who asked God to be freed from stubbornness.
Amen to that.
Sometimes it feels like my ego is controlled by someone else other than myself. It just grows wild. And I end up doing unintentional harm.
Is it not true that we are simply vessels here on this earth to continue on with God's Kingdom?
Can't get much more humbled than that, right? My efforts during my lifetime should be that of God and not that of myself. I was put here to serve. To serve as a leader. Not as a self-indulgent power-seeking idiot.
I am not a vessel for my self betterment. I am a vessel for God's betterment. Period.
I have been noticing within my own world that the leaders around me are falling short of my expectations. But then again, don't we all far short of God's expectations?
Reading God's Word has led me to Titus 1 where a leader is defined-
5-9Appoint leaders in every town according to my instructions. As you select them, ask, "Is this man well-thought-of? Is he committed to his wife? Are his children believers? Do they respect him and stay out of trouble?" It's important that a church leader, responsible for the affairs in God's house, be looked up to—not pushy, not short-tempered, not a drunk, not a bully, not money-hungry. He must welcome people, be helpful, wise, fair, reverent, have a good grip on himself, and have a good grip on the Message, knowing how to use the truth to either spur people on in knowledge or stop them in their tracks if they oppose it.
It always seems easiest for people to say "don't do this" and "don't do that." Well, I really like in the last part of that scripture how it also tells us what we should do. We should welcome people, be helpful and wise and fair and reverent, we should know who we ourselves are and we should know God's word, and how to inspire people who seek the truth.
Now, that's a leader!
I do not benefit as a leader by nurturing self pride or holding onto stubbornness. Instead I must continue to seek out humility in Christ and pray for other leaders to also follow Christ in this way.
Everything else - well - it will always fall short.