I have mentioned before that I am working through a 90-day challenge on being the woman as described in Proverbs 31. I also mentioned that some of the chapters I felt were a big joke in that the author in week three comes out and says, "Okay, today, you will start a ten day diet like Daniel did, of nothing by vegetables and water."
And, that's it! No, warning, no, heads-up, no encouragement. No, nothing!
Needless to say I laughed that chapter off and decided to read on ahead not thinking I was going to look back.
How could I go 10 days, over a week, without iced tea, bread, fruit, meat, and for goodness sake, I would even be sad that I couldn't eat oatmeal!
Last week I made a mental note of how many times my husband and I ate out - breakfast, lunch, or dinner, I counted them all. And you know what?
We ate out 9 times last week.
9 TIMES!?
And you know, well, probably you don't, but I know, that none of those 9 times were "healthy" choices.
I could lose a few pounds. Ok. More than a few.
But, I hate not being able to eat what I want when I want, and I especially hate that ugly "d" word, diet.
It doesn't work for me.
I think I can hang in there for a week of dieting on that cabbage soup diet, or the spicy lemonade detox, and I go out and spend way more than I would eating out every day and by the third day I throw in the towel.
How lame.
I am a child a God. I can accomplish all things through Christ Jesus.
Even going through a diet from start to finish.
So, here I am. Day 1 of the "Daniel's Diet" 10 day detox of nothing by vegetables and water.
I am pretty hungry, already. And, I am already dreaming of an ultimate cheeseburger from Jack in the Box. Maybe even two at this point.
It is 11:15am on day 1 and I have had one cup of smashed yam (nothing on the yam) and a glass of lemon water. In about an hour, I will go a little crazy and have some carrots, beans, and celery sticks. Then at dinner I will enjoy an artichoke! (I am really looking forward to that actually!)
I will keep you posted on my status. Going to go weigh myself this afternoon and keep score of how much weight I will have lost over the 10 day period.
But, I keep reminding myself. This is a good thing! I won't die from this and in the end I actually will feel better and look better too.
And if I really am striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman, I have to succeed in this. I can't have food run my life. From here on out, my new motto is that I eat to live not live to eat!
Daniel Chapter 1 Verse 12 and On
"Try us out for ten days on a simple diet of vegetables and water. Then compare us with the young men who eat from the royal menu. Make your decision on the basis of what you see."
14-16 The steward agreed to do it and fed them vegetables and water for ten days. At the end of the ten days they looked better and more robust than all the others who had been eating from the royal menu. So the steward continued to exempt them from the royal menu of food and drink and served them only vegetables.
17-19 God gave these four young men knowledge and skill in both books and life. In addition, Daniel was gifted in understanding all sorts of visions and dreams.