HGTV is once again giving away a $2 million plus dream home - this time in Vermont.
To honest with you, I forgot all about the contest until today, and wouldn't you've know it, it ends tomorrow. So much for getting as many entries in as I could before the deadline!
My family and I visited Vermont once before when I was younger. It was so beautiful! And, there was a Ben and Jerry Ice Cream Factory and a Maple Farm. That's what I remember.
But I keep thinking to myself, how cool would it be to win a super sweet pad (this one is two stories) and for it to be in Vermont?!
Super cool, that's how cool!
I guess last year there was over 400 million entries to the 2010 home giveaway. The lady that won had such a touching story and was even a Hurricane Katrina victim. I am glad that someone like that won.
I was thinking about it, and whether you play the lottery, or enter contest after contest, or go on a game show, the odds are always stacked up against you.
But why do people keep trying day after day, year after year to win when they know that there is such a slim chance of winning something?
I would venture to say because there is always that notion, that, hey, someone has to win - why not it be me?
Now, to be honest with you, I am not sure that if I won this house that my husband and I could afford to keep it. I mean, what are property taxes and utility bills on that monster of a house anyway? And being in Vermont, I am guessing that the heat bill will be crazy huge every winter.
But, don't get me wrong, I will gladly accept the challenge.
I wonder how many past winners of these huge homes ended up living in them after a year?
Would you live in that home or would you sell it in hopes of cashing in on millions?
You know, they say that you can't have faith without having hope. Maybe this is a good clue to why so many people play the lottery. They have hope and use their faith to increase their chances of winning.
Have you ever done something like that?
Try to bargain with God?
I remember in like the third grade I really wanted to go swimming with my friends but had terrible stomach pains and I just couldn't get out of the bathroom, and I bargained with God that if he let me swim I would be the perfect sister and daughter and child of God the rest of my life.
Well, needlesstosay the pains stopped. And I upheld my end of the bargain. For about half an hour.
A family member of mine has recently caught the lottery "scratcher" bug. She goes and buys scratchers with her tip money and since she wins a few dollars here and there, she thinks that she is close to winning "the big one" - but so far, no such chance.
Her technique in playing these scratchers is actually pretty hilarious to the outside eye. She comes home with a few scratchers in hand, goes straight to her room, prays for what seems like hours asking God to bless her by allowing her to win big on the sractchers before her so that she can lead a better life, and then scratches the tickets to reveal the outcomes.
But, does God really bless us by allowing us to win things?
There is a scripture out there that says that it is easier for a camel to fit through a head of a needle than for a rich person to get into heaven.
So, again, is this God that is blessings these winnings?
Oh course I have always hoped that if I was to win the lottery, or something like that to make me an instant millionaire that I would give lots of my earnings away.
But you know.
I also said that if God would take away my stomach pains in the third grade that I would become an angel.
I guess time will only tell what becomes of this assumption.
My prayer is that if I was to instantly become a millionaire that God would humble me enough to remember how to use those winnings to better His kingdom.
My goal of honoring God should not change just because my bank account grew overnight. If anything, my goals should increase.