If there is one phrase I do not like hearing from other people, it is that I cannot do something.
Sure, I am not talking about police saying I can't do drugs. Or my boss saying I can't throw teenagers off of buildings. But, I am talking about when people say that I cannot do something, or accomplish something in my personal life. It just bugs me. And I want to come right out and say to them, "Watch me."
My mom usually reverse physiology on me. So this is one of her tactics. And I have come to the age of understanding that is why she does it. To inspire me. To push me. But when someone other than my mom says these things to me, without trying to use that reversal trick on me, I get angry.
Very angry.
And probably I am more angry about this one than most, because it came from my mother-in-law.
After I got off of work the other day, I came home and was greeted to a semi/dirty house, not terrible, along with my hungry husband, her, and my five hungry pets.
I quickly turned into superwoman and started rattling the pots and pans and getting everyone fed.
After dinner, like just after dinner, with the dirty dishes still on the table, my mother-in-law says to me, "There is no way you are going to be able to do this with a baby, you need my help."
At first I was thinking, well, I did it just fine with you here, and I am guessing a baby is a lot easier than you! Not out loud of course.
But, then I did say aloud, like I usually do, "Watch me."
And that really took her by surprise I think.
Because she said, "REALLY? You think so??? I don't think so!!!" And got up and started walking toward our guest room.
Ugh.
What exactly was the purpose of her saying that to me? Was it to scare me into thinking that I can't actually do it, and I really do need her help? Was it to put me down because I have a lot of things and people to care for and now I am adding another person into the mix?
She has three children. She was a single mother. Our situations are far different from each. I have someone to co-parent. And so far. We only have one child. Sure, add the five pets in, and you probably got another child in there somewhere. But, really, only one! Not three.
Never tell someone that you know that they can't do something. You don't have the right. Especially if they do not ask for your opinion in the first place.
God knows what you can handle. And I strongly believe that the more you put your faith in Him, the less you have to worry about taking care of. He promises to do most of that for you.
People with little faith are sad creatures. I can do it.