Monday, March 4, 2013

Change of Pace

After having my baby, I have become aware that my lifestyle has changed! (Go figure, right?)

One noticeable thing that has changed is my community service efforts. 

I used to be very active in the once-a-week free meal service to the community at church. Almost once-a-month, I would plan, shop, prepare, cook, and clean-up a dinner for 100+ people (with help of course). And when I wasn't the PIC (person-in-charge), I would go and help serve. 

After having the baby, that has changed, and I actually have not been back since giving birth, and that has left a great void in me. 

I really enjoy giving back, and feel that I am called to do so as a Christian and a Christ follower. And I am finally into my new groove of life with baby on my hip and ready to get back into serving others. But, as it stands right now, I can't get back to the free dinners due to my scheduling. Obviously, I can't take the baby to church to cook without disruption and serve with hesitation. So that's out. 

So now I am left with - well - what can I do with baby - and what do I feel called to do?

After some quick prayer - yes, I confess it was quick, not the great mediation I should have gone for - I felt God leading me to pray for others and to bring meals to the sick and healing. 

I guess one of my spiritual gifts is food. Ha. Ha. 

No, but in all seriousness, after I had given birth, I was brought dinner on two different nights. And it was such a small gesture, but had such a huge impact! That was so helpful to me and my family, and I really enjoyed the visits. 

Last week, I felt the spirit move me to email two of my fellow church goers, not the ones in my regular circle, and I asked them if there was anything I could pray for them for. 

And there was!

There was some actually pretty serious situations that needed prayer. And I felt honored to be able to pray with them on their requests. 

I look forward to being led this week to pray for two or more people. 

Also, I brought three meals to three different families last week. This venture of taking meals to the sick and healing is one that I have never done before. And to be truthful, it is more cost involved than I have ever gotten into as well (the free dinners that I prepared were always reimbursed). But I felt the spirit lead me to this service as well, and I know enough through my faith to trust that this is possible on our budget. 

All through the cooking process for these families, I was able to pray over the food that it would nourish their bodies and heal their spirits. And that was special to me. 

When I went to deliver the food, I was able to give a friendly smile and hug and let them love on baby (all were recovering from knee or hip replacements, not something contagious!). And that was encouraging to me as well. 

Eventhough I miss serving with the free weekly dinners at church, I am learning to enjoy this new style of service. And I am grateful that the Holy spirit is there to lead me through new service opportunities that still lay ahead. 

Just have to remember to keep me heart and ears open for those opportunities.