(Title – a spin off “I got a New York state of mind” – cute huh?!)
It’s funny how people can get depressed over things that do not actually affect them. I asked one person I was counseling to make a list of the things that were making her depressed. She came up with three things. And none of those things directly affected her life – they affected other people’s lives, but not hers.
So why do we take on other people’s problems as our own? Are we trying to be good friends? Are we being good Christians? Do we just like be dramatic? Maybe we think that by taking on other’s problems it makes the other person feel better? I just don’t know…but I do know that…
You were not put on this earth to take on other people’s problems.
Jesus was.
And last time I checked, you were not Jesus. Not even close. So why are you trying to be Him?
The best thing you can do for someone who is going through a rough patch is to pray with them, be there to listen to them, be there to encourage them. But don’t be there to take on their problems. Give those problems to Jesus. It’s okay. He can handle it. And lots more!
Don’t waste the time in your day for worry, doubt, depression, sadness, or grief. Use that time instead to glorify God. Put God first. Put God’s children first. Don’t put emotion first. It’ll just get you down.