Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Put Intentional Prayer to Use

Whenever I have a counseling session with someone, I focus first toward prayer.

Prayer is one of the most important aspect in a Christian’s life. It is our one personal connection to God, beside worship and taking communion. And in some ways, it is like “divine” counseling!

In my opinion, there is no point to counseling without praying first. You cannot solve your problems without God’s help. And you can’t get God’s help without prayer. So, that’s why I start counseling sessions going over prayer! Making sure that the person has prayed over this situation in her life before coming to me, seeing what her prayer schedule looks like, and to see what she knows about praying.  

You see, my role as a mentor in counseling situations is not to fix you or your problems. It is for you to allow God to intervene in your life to fix you and for you to learn to trust in God’s will for your life.

And really, that’s the problem in the first place! That’s why people get to the point of needing counseling, because they forget that they cannot solve their problems without God’s intervention and without trusting in God’s will for their lives. (Even I need reminding of that sometimes too!)

If someone said to me that she doesn’t trust in God, then the session is over, as far as I am concerned. I am happy to help you find that confidence in trusting Him, but we cannot move forward in counseling until you have a little faith. Not lot. All the faith/trust that you need is just as small as a what? As small as a mustard seed (or if you read The Message translation of the Bible, a pine nut)….

So how is your prayer life these days? Is it even alive?

I was told recently in a counseling session that a lady doesn’t pray to God anymore because she never sees results. Ok. This is a start, right?

I asked, how do you know you haven’t seen results? Give me an example.

The example given was that this person asked God to get her through a difficult time in her life and she didn’t see God working through that.

I asked if there was resolution in that difficult time.

The reply – yes.

So I gently reminded that person that her prayer was actually answered! God did exactly what she asked, and got her through that difficult time. I mean, she was sitting in front of me for Pete’s sake! She got through it!

So my conclusion is this.

One. Pray, and then actively search for God’s response.

Don’t just pray, asking God for help, and leave it at that. Actively search for His answer. The girl that I mentioned above felt left out by God because she didn’t think God answered her prayer. But, I think, she wasn’t looking for it. God did answer her prayer and get her through that tough situation. She just didn’t notice.

Two. Intentionally pray.

Don’t just ask God to “get you through” something. Ask for specific help. Specific direction. Specific goals. Ask God to help find resolve to this situation before you develop a more serious issue. Find resolve before your finances go astray. Ask God to change your heart toward your reaction of a situation finding the positive not the negative. Intentionally ask for what you desire. Don’t just skim the surface of your need. Really tell God what is bothering you and how you think He can fix it. He wants that type of relationship with you. So go ahead! Be an intentional pray-er. You won’t be sorry!