Monday, February 25, 2013

To Be or Not To Be...Is That A Question?

The phrase, "struggling with my faith" seems like an oxymoron to me. 

To me, there is no struggle. Faith either is or is not. There is no fight about it. It is true or not true. You either believe, or don't believe. Period.

But. I have witnessed so many times, people "struggling" with faith.

And I just don't get it. 

God is either God of everything, or God of nothing. Jesus is either the Son of God, or the Son of Nothing. 

There is no grey area here. It truly is as black and white, as, well, the colors black and white. 

However, what I have come to realize is that people aren't struggling with faith itself. They are struggling with themselves in the life of faith.

And that is were the confusion begins. 

Just as if God is God of everything, or God of nothing. You are either a Christian or not a Christian. There is no half-way house for Christianity. And if you are a true believer, you shouldn't want such a place anyway.

The grey area here in this mess of struggle comes from self. 

Fitting your life, your everyday, into that of a person of faith.

That's where the true struggle is. 

"I'm struggling with my faith" = "I'm having trouble living my life in line with that of God's."

And that is not God's problem. 

(It's yours.)