I have always been taught to treat people as I wish to be treated.
And I think I am being tested on this.
For the last two years, I have been in contact with a woman and her family in need. The church has provided her family with holiday food baskets. And on occasion, she has called asking for additional food assistance.
The last three or four months however, it has gotten really bad.
She has called asking for food, toilet paper, and dog food, almost on a monthly basis. And the assistance always has to come right this second, never in a day or two.
Now, our church supports a local food pantry. And this woman can certainly go use that pantry. However, she cannot, because she has already used up her "free" passes with the pantry, that offers food assistance three times in a calendar year to families.
It's not even March yet people!
The house that she lives at is not the best. It is dirty. It is cluttered. It is smelly. And I think they run a shanky puppy mill out of their house too.
Obviously this family needs more financial income since they are seeking out for food assistance.
But I am almost certain that they already receive government assistance, and just are not using it efficiently. And, yes, I know I should not be that person who wants to dictate how their money is spent.
But still!
The lady has called at least three times in the last week, and each time she does, I ask the secretary to take a message.
I was hoping that the lady would get the hint. But clearly she has not yet.
If this family didn't include any children, I think I would be better at telling them I can no longer provide assistance. But, there are children involved. And I just hate the knowing that there are hungry children out there.
Treat others as you treat yourself.
Well, that means calling back and dealing with it.