Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Family Not Birthed

Ever since I was little I wanted to adopt a child.

I would even practice by having my Barbie mom adopt fellow Barbie's into her Barbie house to live.

The idea of producing your own children, when there are so many children already here that are in desperate need of your love and affection too, seems to me to be, somewhat, selfish.

Yes, a mom who is 23 with six children of her own, all with different fathers, and having no money, and is forced to live on the streets with her children, is a disgrace. But, that's not the children's fault.

An opportunity arose in the past weeks for my husband and I to consider adopting a small boy from a woman in Mexico City, Mexico. (She's the woman I was describing above.)

My heart jumped at the fact that my childhood dream was coming true, and I would be adopting a child, and not only just a child, but a child who would really benefit from moving into the greatest country on earth and getting off the cold, dirty streets of drug-stricken Mexico.

I told only a few people, and the response was not great. They questioned why my husband and I would consider adopting a child we don't even know his background (medically, emotionally, physically, etc.), and especially why we were adopting now, when we don't even have any children of our own yet.

"Don't you want your first child to actually be yours?"

Many nights I prayed to God for direction and if I should even consider the question above. And I can't really say I have received an answer yet.

After doing some research, I found that adopting child from Mexico is almost as hard as adopting a panda from the moon...only 57 adoptions were granted in 2010 for couples outside of Mexico. And not only do you have to prove to the courts that you are financially able to care for the child the reminder of his life, but you have (and your spouse have) to physically live with the child for a six month period, in the city that the child currently resides, before the adoption is final and you can take the child home with you.

Is that almost impossible or what?

How can one prove financial stability if you and your spouse can't go to work for six whole months?

One might say that this is my answer from God.

But, is it really?