Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Toast To The End

Doom's Day is coming.

Well, at least they say it is.

Ancient Mayan and Aztec societies have predicted the end of the world thousands of years ago, and that day happens to fall on the winter solstice of this new year. Other prophesies have also predicted the fall of the earth during this year too.

Actually, on New Year's Eve, my husband and I toasted to the end of the world. Ha ha

The world has been predicted to end on other days, too, but those clearly weren't real, well, because we are all still here.

The latest one was when the year 2000 rolled around. (Gonna Party like it's 19 - 99, ring any bells?)

Engineers and computer geeks predicted that when the clock stuck midnight on December 31, 19 - 99 (sorry, I can't help myself!) that all the world's computers would fail because they would not be able to transfer their software to read "2000".

But, alas, all the computers complied. And now twelve years later, we are back at square one, with our doom's day clock back on countdown watch.

When I was younger, I thought that the reason the Aztecs came up with 12-21-12 was because they all died out before they could create another cute kitty calendar for 2013. However, later, I learn that the Aztec calendar isn't like the calendars that we commonly use today, and instead, has the capability to go on forever...but it doesn't.

Christian leaders are gearing up for the questions that will come from their parishioners regarding this prediction. First, let me say that the Bible does not predict the end of the world on December 21, 2012, in fact, it doesn't give any specific date at all. Jesus says that no one, not even him, knows when this will happen, only God the Father knows.

So if Jesus is out of the loop, I guess I don't mind being either.

My man, Paul the Apostle, thought he knew that the end of the world was near during his lifetime. (Needless to say, the end of the world was near, but just for him.) In fact, he went around teaching that women shouldn't even try to bare fruit (eerr children) because the end of the world was that close.

But, you know, if Jesus says even he is out of the loop on this one, you can imagine that most likely, Paul would be too.

Some in the scientific committee say that a solar storm or huge rock is headed in our direction in late 2012. But, as Nasa has explained in detail, no such "scientific" prediction is based in reality. Actually, check this article out for yourself, it's really good, http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html. It debunks the myths of polar switches and huge rocks with earth's name on it flying toward us.

One thing I am believing in all of this?

The reality that myself and my household need to be prepared for an emergency.

I mean think about it. If one tiny thing interrupts the world as I know it, the small dessert town where I live will be affected. If a solar flare did strike one of our space satellites, taking down communication and computers, what would we do?

Our cars wouldn't work. Our lights wouldn't work. Our hearts and coolers wouldn't work. No cell phones. We would be back to the pioneer days, for who knows how long.

In December of 2011 Los Angeles found themselves smack in the middle of one of the worst wind storms the city has ever seen. Huge trees uprooted and fell onto cars and houses, and broke up sidewalks. Houses had windows crack and roofs blew off. Power lines were taken down.

Over 500,000 people were without power...For over five days!

Can you believe that? Los Angeles, one of the most money making cities in the world, and half a million residences were without power/computers for almost a freakin' week.

That is so hard to believe.

Could you imagine something happening like this on a larger scale? On a much larger scale?

It would takes weeks, if not months, to reconnect power.

Thankfully, due to Hurricane Katrina, counties and cities throughout the US are considering how best to inform the general public of possible emergency situations. Before, word would come out through the television or radio. But now, in some places, you can register your cell phone number or your email address to be contacted in such a situation. Google if your county has such a thing. For LA county, the website is http://portal.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/alertla.

In theory, this is a great step. But in reality, what if we are depending too much on technology? What if broad band communication is taken out way before the possibility of an emergency occurs?

This is when your boy scout instincts need to come in.

Being prepared will save your life, not to mention your sanity.

When I was 13, we had a pretty bad earthquake in my hometown and the power went out. My parents didn't have an emergency supply kit for us, so I went down to the local market with my dad to purchase bottled water and food.

It looked like December 21, 2012. snicker sinker

By the time we got to the market, we discovered that we were not the only ones who weren't prepared. The shelves were empty. People were frantic. Workers looked scared.

In fact, it is reported that grocery stores only carry enough supplies in the event of a power outage to last two hours. Mostly because back up generators only last that long, but also because the stores would most likely be sold out by the time too.

So what is a good boy scout imitator to do?

Be prepared.

When trying to survive after a disaster, or power outage, or solar flare, or heck, even the end times, you really should be prepared.

Living in earthquake country I finally got my act together and put an emergency kit together for my family. I did all kinds of research on what I should get and how I should pack it.

The most common, baby step, basic, run of the mill emergency kit that you can put together is what is a called a 72-hour kit. This kit is said to get you through the first 3 days in an utmost emergency situation.

Run of the mill is more my style anyway, so I decided just to do that one.

Through Amazon I purchased emergency water pouches, food bars, and fire starters to last me and my entire household 72 hours. Also, being in the desert, I bought more water pouches than suggested because of the hotter climate. I then separated the appropriate amount of food and water into three backpacks (we have three people at home), because of course it was cheaper to purchase these items in bulk then individual. Also in the backpacks I put a change of bright colored clothing, so we become easier to see out in the elements, a pair of walking shoes (not flip flops), flashlights with extra batteries, a blanket for shelter or warmth, a basic first aid kit, a copy of our house key, and toilet paper. That's it. Very basic. And it's portable, so in reality, you could take it with you when you are away from home. Ya, it wasn't cheap. It cost probably a little over $100 for three people. But, the emergency water and food won't expire until late 2016 - so I don't have to purchase these items again for a long time (and it gets through past December, ha ha).

But what does our faith provide us when facing possible end times?

Blessed assurance.

For I know the plans I have for you, says our Father Above, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

At the start of 2012, I began reading a daily devotional from Sarah Young entitled, Jesus Calling. I heard about it from a local Christian radio station who were reading in 2011.

Wouldn't you know, that the one devotion for December 21 reads, "My plan for your life is unfolding before you. Do not fear your weakness, for its is the stage on which My power and glory perform most brilliantly."

In times like these, God proves over and over again to be our greatest strength.