Thursday, January 19, 2012

The "Fee" Devil Inside

Fees. I have never been a fan of fees. Bank fees. CRV fees. Toll fees. 


But, a church fee? Now, that's a new one!


Here's the background - 


I am a co-captain of a team for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life in our town. I love relay, I love what relay represents, relay is in my blood. And I think it is safe to say that the church team that I am co-captain of, agrees with me, because we have been named the top third fundraiser for the overall event two years running. God is good!


Last season, the committee team captain meetings and relay committee meetings were held at another church, and the meeting room was up a flight of pretty steep stairs. Every meeting I would notice the strain some people had of getting up and down those stairs, either due to age, or disability, or even because they have cancer. 


Because of this I was prompted to suggest that the meetings be moved to my church, where we have no stairs. 


The suggested was immediately accepted by the planning committee and I filled out a church facility use form asking final permission from the trustees to use the building for the 2012 season.


Four weeks later I get news from the trustees that the request had been approved. 


Eight weeks later, which happened to be last night, I get the word that the trustees are looking for some sort of "donation" from the relay to cover costs of use of facility.


Now, before you go on thinking this is fair, let me remind you that this type of "donation" has never been seen before. No other group to my knowledge has been asked for such a thing. Especially not a non-profit. 


When I heard of this, I was pissed.


I felt the water in my eyes begin to boil.


Is the church strapped for cash you may ask?


Well, considering that at the end of 2011, the church had a $30,000 surplus of funds, making a profit, which is not allowed in a non-profit church. So, to answer that questions. I. Think. Not.


So why the fee?


I really have no idea. 


The Relay for Life is a church supported mission. It has been for years. And I think it is a great honor to host such a community event, not only to support the cause, but also to get people into the church walls that probably would not otherwise. 


It is still up in the air how my fellow co-captain and myself will pay the $180 donation. I suggested we write a church check. Ha.


But, in the end, what I really think I am upset about, is knowing that the church is more than capable to pay the utility fees in the first place, so why charge a fee for other non-profit use?


Money is the root of all evil. And that is no exception in this situation either.