It's not even a month after Christmas has passed and I have already begun shopping for Christmas 2012...I do so confess.
I mean, yes, I have been known to have my Christmas shopping done and over with even before Halloween some years, but to my knowledge, I usually have never begun shopping in January.
It's sick, right?
But, I can't help myself. I used my Old Navy Visa card so much during the holiday season that I received lots of "free" spending cash that expires very soon. So, really, I am being a smart shopper and not using that "free" money on myself, but on other people.
Chu ching!
Last year, ok, a month ago, that sounds a littler closer, my husband and I spent almost $800 on Christmas presents on our families. I think that's a little ridiculous. Especially considering that we do not have our own children.
I decided to write out everyone who we buy presents for, and the list makes me laugh. On my husband's side of the family, we shop for four people. That's it. Four.
And on my side of the family, we shop for, wait for it, wait for it, thirteen people!
Of course, yet again, I am root of this problem, not my husband.
So that's seventeen people that we shop for, mostly from my side of the family, but a big family is a happy family after all, right?? We spent $800 on them total, so that's roughly $50 a person, average.
This year I am determined to have our Christmas spending under $500. I think that's a great place to start. But, I will not be a "cheap" giver and buy crappy stuff and/or less presents for people, but instead, be a smart giver this year and watch for sales and use my "free" money back promotions from places on gifts instead of myself. Because come on, do I really need another shirt? I don't wear all the shirts I already have.
So, I guess to answer my own question, no, it's not too early to start shopping for Christmas 2012. Because I refuse to overspend on gifts because I did not plan ahead.