Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Refuel Ahead

The last four days have been the weirdest four days of my life. Ok. Exaggeration. The weirdest four days of my married life.

Saturday I took my honey to the pinnacles which is close to our hometown. We brought along our two dogs and a bunch of water (this is the desert!). We finally got out there and hiked up and down all the pinnacles, walked around the caves, saw all the lizards, and started home.

It was wonderful weather, and really a great experience all around. Our marriage "love" tanks were both on full after that day as we sailed into Sunday where my husband actually did some home improvements without me even asking! (My love tank was now OVER full.)

Then Monday morning hit.

Where we learned that my husband's position was being terminated after four years of working for the same company, effective, immediately.

...

...

Ya. I didn't believe it was happening at first either.

And learning that he got fired for something so stupid, something that should have been just written-up in his permanent record and forgotten about, made it just that much more worse.

I really wanted my mean face to come out and lash out against my husband. How could he put his job in such jeopardy like that? How could he have acted so unprofessionally? We have a mortgage to pay!  

I wanted to slam doors in his face, over-salt his dinner, and stain his favorite shirt.

But the truth of the matter is. That would be toxic of me. Harmful. Terrible! I mean, the poor dude was already beat up enough and for me to add fuel to the fire would have put him over the edge.

So, only by God's amazing grace, I was reminded of God's promise to always provide and I put my worries and concerns and fears and tears all on God's shoulders. I had God take all of the anxiety away from me.

And then I was able to focus on recovery. Yes, this horrible thing has happened to us. Yes, it shouldn't have happened. Yes, God is always in control.

This is the first hour of the rest of our lives.

So, we celebrated.

I cooked us a great dinner, we clinked our wine glasses to the road ahead, and sealed it with a kiss.

And you know, that was a lot better reaction than the alternative.

God knew what he was doing when he created those two perfect days before this storm hit. My husband and I are so lucky to have had our "love" tanks full for each other before the unexpected happened to us.

I am pretty sure that if our tanks weren't full when Monday came around, that I wouldn't have thought twice about causing my husband harm. I would want nothing more than to hurt him because he unintentionally hurt me.

It's pretty funny how God works, huh?

We didn't see unemployment in our future. But you know. God did. God knew this was coming and he didn't let us down. He prepared us for it. 

And now we are onto a new chapter in our lives with God by our sides. I know God will provide my husband with a career that he is excited to go to everyday unlike his old one.

Honestly, this was the push he truly needed.

I am excited for the road ahead! And I am grateful that our tanks are still full.