I read an article today regarding the so-called "Kill Team" of the United States Army. This team was put on trail after several of their platoons stationed in Afghanistan where accused of murdering unarmed civilians.
In this article, the "Kill Team" was found guilty of at least three innocent deaths. And one of the main coordinators for this killing spree was only given 26 years in prison for his crimes.
Only 26 years? For three people?
Talk about misusing your position in the Armed Forces.
The article, which was originally published by Rolling Stone magazine is pretty long. And I admit that I read the entire text.
I was left with
1) write a blog discussing my feelings of this, and
2) change the way I pray for our armed soldiers in "danger" oversees.
Now, first I wish to disclose that this article only speaks of a few platoons out of thousands. So should the entire Army go down for these crimes? No. But do the American people have the right to look at our entire Armed Forces a little differently now? I am sorry to say it. But. Yes.
When we think, okay, let me take ownership here, when I think of our armed forces I think of red blooded, Christian men and women, with tons of patriotism for our country, fighting for the better good, with their loving families all back home awaiting their return.
But I often forget that they are trained killers too. And they are good at it.
And, true, sitting here away from the war zone, I think that killing is terrible and scary and dangerous, but necessary for, there's that phrase again, "the better good."
I wish to think that soldiers use their weapons ONLY after being fired upon from the enemy. But that is far from the truth.
And look at the statics here. Most of the men who were put to trail had three or even four tours under their belts. What kind of mindset does that put on our soldiers? I think a one, year tour is bad enough. I couldn't imagine going back again, and then again, and well, again!
It was mentioned that the soldiers felt that the natives were savages and one dead savage wasn't a bad thing.
But unfortunately just as we now have a different stigma on our armed forces, they have that too for the people of Afghanistan. Some are savages. But not all.
I am sadden by this news of our soldiers framing attacks on their platoons only for the purpose of recreational killing.
That truth is ugly and wrong in so many ways.
And to read line after line how the Afghan people demanded answers from the Army camps and were simply turned away makes me sick. That is not how America operates. I would have a billion dollar law suit in my hands if I witnessed a police officer kill my son and after I went to the station to seek help was turned away...that wouldn't happen here, and it shouldn't happen over there.
No wonder why Afghanistan is such a dangerous place. More and more native people are arming themselves against the terrorists - and by terrorist, I mean us.
If our military's reputation is known in the foreign lands where they were sent to protect the natives is a different one than that, then we have a major problem.
I remember reading another article on the genocide in Darfur and one native was quoted in saying, "I will not feel at peace about this land until the white man comes." Meaning until our troops come protect him and his people.
I left that article uplifted. Our military is seen as a force for good not evil.
But then I read this article and my thoughts have changed. Maybe now that quote may sound like, "I will not feel at peace about this land until the white man leaves."
Every day I pray for the protection of our armed forces. And after reading this article, and learning that the crimes are true and really did happen, my prayers for them now also include using their right state of mind and not harming those who don't harm them first.
To read this article in full visit, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42304341/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/?GT1=43001