Monday, March 14, 2011

Unexpected Resolution

Having lost his job at the early part of last week, my husband and I unintentionally went into the Lenten season with unemployment as our "sacrifice" for Christ. Usually I just give up soda.


Huh.


So, Amy, what do you decide to give up for Lent?


Half our income.


(What a GREAT Christian I am! Really taking this "giving-up" stuff to heart!)


Now, I'm not too great at making New Year's resolutions, but I did make one this year that I have kept, and here it is almost April. Every day, when I arrive work, the first thing I do is read a short daily devotional from Our Daily Bread, a freebie pamphlet that the church gives out.


The daily devotionals are not always thought provoking, I admit. But for the last week, the chosen daily scriptures have really spoken to me and have kept my mind and heart on Christ not only during this time of Lent, but also on this time of unemployment.


Here's an example, last Thursday's post, Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God (Isaiah 41:10).


January 1, 2011 I had no clue that making such a resolution as I did would aide me down the line like it has. Nor did I fully understand the importance of reading scripture daily.


Isn't it amazing of God's amazing grace?