Drama.
That's the "D" word referred to in my title of this post.
Recently it was announced to the entire family that a family member, who is Christian mind you, would marry a person that denies God's existence.
Now, to some this might not be a big deal, who cares, right?
But to my family. My southern Baptist rooted family. It is the end of the world as we know it (and here we thought that would start in December?).
I seriously thought that my grandmother would drop dead at this news. She knows the soon-to-be in-law and she does not like this person. She thinks this person is not right for this family, and especially not right for the person that is to be married to "it".
Do I agree? Well, maybe.
Maybe God has put such a strong attachment in the Christian half of this marriage because he has a plan to finally get the non-believer saved.
(I told this theory to my grandma and she basically told me I had to repent for speaking those words.)
But what I have learned over the years is that anytime you bring a marriage into the picture, drama occurs. Drama occurs over the person being married into the family. The situation that the marriage is based upon. The time of the marriage. Drama. Drama. Drama.
But that's not what God intended marriages to be.
God's plan for marriage was to unite two people into one flesh. And that's pretty hard to do!
God's plan was for marriage to be joyous and a time for celebration. For it for bring families together. To grow. To love.
But is it justified for a Christian person to marry, to unite with a non-Christian person? I hear all the time of Christians marrying Jews. Or Christians marrying Buddhists. But at least the other half has a belief of his/her own, right??
But what about when the other spouse denies that God even exists? That what you so madly are in love with, that is, your love in God, is not even real?
Well, I intend to find out. Before the wedding.
I just ordered the book, How to Be a Happy Wife to an Unsaved Husband by Linda Davis. Ya, books these days are like Hallmark cards, there is one for every occasion!
Hopefully this book will help lessen the drama before the marriage bells go a ringin'!