Monday, February 13, 2012

Unsettled

My husband and I have been discussing for some time on which is better - dying younger as to not put pressure on your family to "take care of you" when you are so old, but not having as many memories as you would like with that person OR dying older when you are in need of constant care and support and having lots of chances for memories?


Young with no hassle but more emotional grief OR old with lots of hassle but with less emotional grief?


I just don't know. And truly it is not up to me, or you, or my husband. It is up to God the Father, the creator of life and eternal life. 


But, as people get older and older throughout the years and are living well beyond their expected lifespans, what comes about of this?


What are the benefits? The cons? 


Well, the benefits are that your loved ones are around more, and are more involved in your life, and have more opportunities to worship and serve God. 


The cons, well, those seem obvious. More health care needed, constant physical care, stress, money, money, money. (And who said that money isn't the root of all evil?)


In my growing up with faith I have always told myself that the Lord takes someone away because "He must have needed him/her more." The reason that your sister died, God needed her more. The reason that your grandpa died, God needed him more. 


This statement has helped me realize through my grief that God is in control of my life, and those around me, and it is easier for me to let the deceased go, if I know that God has a better purpose for them, and that purpose is to be in heaven with Him. I can't be selfish after remembering that statement. 


God needs him more. And whatever God needs, I will hope to provide. 


I have an elderly family member who I often take care of. I have experienced a lot of things during my care but one that seems constant is the idea that some other people in my family have given up on her. 


After her last near-death experience, I have already let you go in my mind.


She shouldn't try that new medicine, she is old, that's what old feels like.


It doesn't matter, she is really old. 


I was talking on the phone with someone two days ago and was venting about how I didn't want to go pick-up some prescription for her because I was tired, and didn't want to face the crowds at the store. And then this person replied, 


"Well, hang in there, you won't have to do that much longer, you know?"


My heart changed at that moment. 


What am I doing? I shouldn't be acting like this, and I shouldn't allow others to either. This person, who I love so much, and respect so much, is a child of God. She may not look like a child anymore, to God, she is still His, and always will be. And God sees value in her life, so I must too.


I have no right putting less worth on someone because "her time should be up soon." I should be committed to loving her and caring for her all the days of her life, however long that beautiful life may be. And until that day when God takes her to her glorious new home, I have to believe that God still thinks that I, I need her more here with me, then there with Him.


So to answer the question of which is better? - I guess there isn't really an answer. For me, I would rather live in Heaven sooner rather than later, because death isn't the end, it is actually just the beginning.