Well here we are again, beginning a new season of Lent.
My brother told me the other day that he is giving up alcohol for lent. I asked him if he had ever given anything up before for lent, and he said last year he tried, but Easter was just too long after Ash Wednesday, so he didn't make it.
He always makes me laugh, but this one made me REALLY laugh.
Lent is 40 days. Always. Every year. Even if Easter is pushed later in the month than normal, guess what, Ash Wednesday begins later in the month as well.
So I guess time will just tell on how he will do with his giving up alcohol thing.
But, do you really need to give something up for lent?
Well, for Catholics, I think the answer is yes. But for other Christians? I think the answer is. Depends.
The reason behind giving something up for lent is to experience a temptation and not giving into it like what Jesus had to do for 40 in desert and when he was being tempted by the devil. This experience should make you feel closer to God because when you give something up, and you want to do whatever it is you gave it, you are told to fill that need with prayer, not with whatever it is you gave up.
One year when I was a kid I gave up birthday cake. I thought I was being pretty smart because I didn't think I would go to many birthday parties between March and April. God had a good laugh that year. Because I think I went to 7 birthdays between that time period. And I had to say no to all 7 of those birthday cakes.
This Saturday I am hosting a Lent 101 course at the church helping people to understand the lenten season better and hopefully get more out of it this year.
And this year, I am encouraging people to add something instead of giving something up. Add reading a daily devotion. Add prayer time. Add a service project. Add more Jesus into your daily life.