Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Profile Pictures

How do you decide what picture to place on your media accounts? Are they all the same photo - or maybe you have different photos for different media networks (like one for Facebook and one for your blog).

When I was hiring employees a few years ago, I would go and check out their media accounts. And, sure, some had on their security settings to not allow me, an outsider, access into their full profile, but I still could see the main profile picture.

Result? Well, regrettably, most profile photos were not job applicant appropriate.

These photos were taken at really fun times - complete with the drunken smiles, the lip locking of the applicant with who knows who, and the classic, smooshed rock star face with a admirable middle finger showing.

Thankfully I am no longer in the hiring business, but I still look at people's profile pictures.

The most recent was when I decided to look up a new family into our church on Facebook.

That was a mistake.

All of the classic "applicant" poses that I mentioned above were present on both of these sweet good Christian profiles.

Good friends, your media accounts, whether you think so or not, reflect you as an individual, at this current stage of your life.

Sure, you may have taken those drunken one night stand pictures five years ago, but they are still active memories on your account. And furthermore, you may know that those were taken five years ago during the "good old days" but when I look at them, I assume those were taken last weekend.

WWJT?

Not, WWJD (what would Jesus do) but instead, what would Jesus think?

What would Jesus think if he looked at your media accounts right now?

Is all the information present, all things that you are willing to take to the grave and explain at the pearly gates?

Could you imagine that? You get up to Saint Peter and after you sign in and do the intake interview, pages of your online media accounts are laid before you to explain to the panel.

Ha.

How you reflect your character online is a statement of your actual character. Like or not.

So, please, for all of us, go and look at your media accounts, specifically your photos and ask yourself, WWJT?