Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Reunited And It Feels So Good

Be careful of reading the title of this blog too many times in a row - or you will have the song stuck in your head for hours.

Trust me.

After making up with my husband over the Easter incident, it was almost time to celebrate his birthday. We hadn't planned much, seeing the we are still only one income, but I planned a nice little celebration at our house on the actual day and usually it would have consisted of dinner AND dessert, but this time it was just dessert.

I was talking to my mom on the phone keeping her updated on the birthday plans and how I was sad that I couldn't do anything more for his birthday.

I really have tried hard over the last few years to make a big deal out of my husband's birthday because when he was growing up, his family never did.

Like, for his first birthday together as a couple, I took him to San Francisco to see an A's baseball game (his fave team) and got amazing seats on the dirt.

(What a good girlfriend I was!)

Fast forward just two birthdays and the poor dude only gets a handful of my family and his family and brownies (and let me say right here that HIS side of the family was two and half hours LATE to this birthday - see I told you - every holiday!!!).

Boooo (on both accounts).

My mom suggested that after the party my husband and I come up to spend a week with them and they would pay for our gas (which is great considering the price now a days!) and they would also buy our food.

Hell ya!

So off we go, bags packed.

It's great to get away and be with my family up here. And for the first time ever we have left all of our pets, all 5 of them, back home with a sitter.

Now, that's really nice!

Anyway, having some free time on my hands, I asked my very best friend who I met in college to go out to dinner while we were up here.

This would have been the first time in almost THREE years that I have seen her and actually had a conversation longer than two sentences.

Last night we met at one of our old stomping grounds for dinner.

Three hours later I decided that I better cut it "short" since she hadn't even been home yet from work that day and had to go back work the next.

But, boy, what a difference three years makes!

Well, actually our friendship, even if it took backseat for a bit, kicked right back up from the second we sat down to eat.

I love that.

Only true best friends can come back together after so so long and not have any drama between each other or hurt feelings and just start right back up where we left off.

Three whole years.

Too long if you ask me. I mean, this chick is my absolute best friend.

We had lots to catch up on and just from looking over my life the past three years - a lot has changed.

I got a new job, moved states, started dating, got engaged, got married, bought a house, adopted three more pets, and on and on.

It feels so good to have my best friend back in my life.

And you know, I try so hard to keep my marriage happy and together, I really need to do lots more to keep my friendship with my best friend happy and together as well.

We have a date to meet up one more time before heading back home.

I hope that this is the beginning of a new chapter in our friendship and that it won't be another three years until I see her again.